Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I knew I was awesome, but this proves it!

* Disclaimer: this post is just a joke and is really silly. I promise I don't actually think I'm all that! However, I do think I'm at least the bag of chips. :) Haha! *

I am taking a short course this summer in Human Growth and Development and I'm learing a lot of interesting things about this area of psychology. This week I read about two fascinating topics I wanted to share with you. :)

1) Handedness - "Handedness, the preference for using one hand over the other, is usually evident by age 3. Because the left hemisphere of the brain, which controls the right side of the body, is usually dominant, most people favor their right side. In people whose brains are more functionally symmetrical, the right hemisphere tends to dominate, making them left-handed."
- Human Development, Chapter 7, page 243

2) The Only Child - "Are only children spoiled, selfish, lonely, or maladjusted? Research does not bear out this stereotype. According to an analysis of 115 studies, "onlies" do comparitively well. In occupational and educational achievement and intelligence, they surpass children with siblings. Only children also tend to be more mature and motivated to achieve and to have higher self-esteem. They do not differ, however, in overall adjustment or sociability. Perhaps these children do better because their parents spend more time and focus more attention on them, talk to them more, do more with them, and expect more of them. Research in China, which mandates one-child families, also has produced encouraging findings about only children." - Human Development, Chapter 8, page 307

See, I told you. :) Yes, I am both left-handed and an only child and I was surprised and ammused to read both of these passages in my textbook. I'm not actually sure if this says anything real about me, but I thought it would be funny to share anyway! Hopefully all you right-handed, sibling-having people will finally see how much better the rest of us have it! ; )

Hey - just out of curiosity - do I have an amen from any other left-handed only children out there? It would be fun to know I'm not all alone. :)

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN! Me too!

Anonymous said...

crazy girl!

Stacy Cross said...

oh, yay, Jennie! :) That makes me so happy - how did we not discover this before?????

Anonymous said...

You and Mills are on the same team, and I think you are both GREAT!

Alison Portis said...

I'm going to give half an AMEN...I'm am only child too! That "only children are spoiled" comment is soo frustrating! I could continue to expand on this, but I won't. :)

Carolyn said...

I totally agree with everything the textbook said about only children....

Labels