Saturday, August 25, 2007

Frequently Asked Photography Questions!

Following in the footsteps of one of my favorite photographers, the super sweet Jasmine Star, I wanted to answer a few of the FAQs I get from other photographers and friends. :) We are ALL at some phase of learning about photography, so I am just going to answer the most frequent questions I get, big and small. I am hoping to do this on the blog from time to time because I have so valued all of the information I've gained from others and now I just want to give the little that I have away! :)

1) I am not a professional photographer, but I am very interested in getting better at photography and I want to know what camera I should buy.

My recommendation is always the Canon EOS Digital Rebel. This camera is a fantastic camera for a beginner and let me tell you a little secret: I shot WEDDINGS (LOTS of weddings) at the beginning with this camera and it did a great job! Which edition of this camera should you buy? I had the 6.3 mega pixel one back in the olden days, and I know the current one is something sick like 12 mega pixels, but really, I think that's un-unnecessary. Anything about 6 will give you gorgeous images, in my opinion. :)

2) What camera do you use now?

I use the Canon 5D and 30D cameras. Most of the time I'm using the 5D and Stan's using the 30D, but we really switch a lot throughout the wedding. I LOVE both of these cameras, but I am especially in love with my 5D. :)

3) Do I need to get a 5D to be a good photographer?

Yes. No, I'm just kidding. :) The 5D will be a huge, awesome investment when you're able to do it, but my recommendation is always to get "good glass" first and foremost. Good glass refers to the lenses you have in your arsenal. My opinion is that the lenses make the biggest quality difference in your images and will be your best investment.

4) How do you get those super-sharp pictures?

First of all, thanks. :) I am glad that I'm finally making some headway in the battle against soft pictures. That drove me absolutely CRAZY for a long time! I think we all struggle with figuring that part of things out.

I have to say again that "good glass" is absolutely KEY in getting those sharp pics. I find that my sharpest images come when I hover around f 1.8 on up to about 2.5. I think our eyes play a trick on us when you have the amazing bokeh (blurry) in the background - it makes the subject even sharper than they actually are. Starting with good glass and a steady hand will give you sharp pictures just right out of the camera. THEN in post-processing, contrast and Kubota Magic Sharp are my friends, but only on images that are already really sharp. :)In fact, when I use magic sharp on a not-sharp image, it looks just yuck.

Here's a pic of my friend Amy (you may recognize her from News 8). This was shot at 85/1.8. Notice the contrast between the sharpness of her face vs. the background and even her shirt.


Okay, that's all for now, but I will be doing this again soon! Please feel free to leave questions in the comment section here so that I can answer them next time. :)

1 comments :

Jasmine said...

You're awesome...just in case you forgot... ;)

Labels