Friday, October 26, 2007

Being Different.


(I know this picture is HIDEOUS, but I put it up, in case any of my high school or college friends are reading. This is called the "Pretty Face" and I break it out anytime I don't have anything funny to say, but I still want to entertain people. Obviously there is nothing pretty about it!)

I have many fond memories of my high school years and when I think back to that time in my life, overall, I am happy about how things went. However, when I look back, there is one thing I would change - one thing I really regret - and that was my deep and real need to be the SAME as everyone around me. I went to a high school where we all wore uniforms, but even with little selection, I would find a way to follow the lead of everyone around me, finding out where they bought their khaki pants or oxford shirt, because I felt I needed to look JUST like them.

Now that I'm twenty-something, I am so thankful that I've grown enough to know that I don't want to be like ANYONE else! I want to be me! I am silly, zainy, loud, driven, obnoxious, and emotional and that is OKAY. :) Yes, new people are often scared of me, but I've never met a stranger and I'm surrounded by the best friends in the world. I am blessed. Even the ridiculous things about me that I used to loathe, I now embrace. I've never been so secure in my life.

Lately I've been thinking about how my desire to be different effects my photography. I remember when my business first started taking off, I felt like I needed to know the right lens, the right website, the right amount of saturation, the right angles, the right exposures, the right everything that would produce a good picture. I wanted to look at someone else's pictures and figure out the magical formula to make my pictures look like their's. While this time was short-lived, it was so NOT me and I just despise that I ever felt like I needed to do that. The moment I figured out that I could just be ME in my photography, nothing but great things came along! I never look at someone's work and ask myself how I can make mine look like their style. Now I appreciate others' work and am thankful that our styles are different. I shoot with the freedom to capture a moment through MY eyes without a mental set of rules to follow to achieve someone else's look.

I know this probably seems like a bunch of rambling, but I guess I hope that this has a lesson for all of us:

- Don't waste time trying to fit into a mold that wasn't made for you. Be you - and rest comfortably and securely in being true to yourself. :)

This applies to brides planning their own weddings, photographers finding their own style, regular people trying to find success in their careers, high-schoolers trying to find their place amongst their peers. Being the same is never worth the hard work it requires and it will leave you feeling empty and without foundation. You were made for more than that! :)

Love,
SC

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Stacy--

Went through the same thing at 31. Took a lot to wake me up, but I finally figured out that people might be okay with me if I was just me! It's probably the work of a lifetime to figure out who we are at our cores (what we wouldn't change) and who we are becoming (how our spirits are evolving and growing into More). Thanks for being open about this and encouraging others to go ahead and be themselves now!

Stacy Cross said...

Cythina - you are are a GREAT example of a 100% genuine self-assured person! And you're a pretty fabulous bride, too. :)

Jennifer Nichols said...

Rock on Stacy! Well said, but I was a little more concerned about Stan's "pretty face!" Good lord!

katy said...

Love the "pretty face" I have plenty of faces like that but sometimes I think I make them on accident :) Pretty great advice about being yourself too!

Amy Martin said...

You rock :)

Anonymous said...

that is so spot on Stacy...exactly my thoughts. life is an ongoing adventure to be who you want to be...don't settle one trying to be like someone else. being a cancer survivor taught me that life is way to short to try to follow the crowd. Thanks for that reminder girl. Can't wait til the 5th. see you soon.

E

Anonymous said...

why'd you cut out my eyes but leave in my double chin?

Stacy Cross said...

Stanbo - you know how bad I am at the camera holding self-portraits. You need to wear your chins proudly!

Now and Then Photography said...

preach on sista!

Cheryl said...

Awesome post. I was just thinking about how silly I used to be always trying to fit in with what other people were doing. Feeling philosophical today, uh? ;)

Jasmine said...

That's the best picture of Stan. Ever. :)

LOVED this post!!

Jeff said...

Well said Stacy! :) I truely appreciate your style and desire to be completely genuine.

And I love Stan's chins.

Ginger Murray said...

Thanks for the reminder.... I need that type of good advice sometimes!

Labels