Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Let's try this again! :)

Cari & Joel are engaged - yay! I really really love these two. No, it's not because they're smokin' hot (they really are) or because they know how to work a camera like nobody's business (they really do) or because they're too cute for words (again, the ARE)...

it's because they are GOOD to each other. Nothing makes me happier than when I see a couple that treats each other well. Say what you want about all the keys to a successful marriage, but I can tell you right now - truly respecting and caring for your partner is THE key to bliss. Hard times will come - they always do - but if your relationship is based on true, honest mutual honor, this one thing will see you through those challenging times. Trust me - I have see this in my own marriage to my wonderful Stan. :)

Anyhoo - as promised, I got my stuff together, was able to figure out the problem I was having with posting these images, and am now sharing them with you! Thanks for your patience!

Before I share, though, I have to tell you the FUNNIEST thing! We just spent all week with Stan's family in South Carolina where his Grampie lives and it was so fun! I plan to share more, but that will come later this week. Anyway, Grampie and I have a really awesome relationship and it is a huge blessing to me, since I lost my Grandpa and Grandad, both of whom I was very close to, within 1 month of each other, when I was 10 years old. Grampie has been one of the best things about inheriting this AWESOME family when I married Stan over 4 years ago.

Grampie is the kind of grampie who just tells you how it is and I love that about him. We were talking about photography last week (which he is also very into and VERY good at) and he seized the opportunity to tell me what he thinks about my pictures.

"Stacy, do you know what I don't like about your pictures on your website?"

"No I don't Grampie . . . please tell me."

"I don't understand why those people have to be slobbering all over each other all the time. Why can't you just take a nice picture where they're not huggin' and kissin' all over each other? When I was your age we would never be caught dead in a picture like that!"

I chuckled a bit and said "I understand your point. Everybody has their own style. Mine is to show people as they are - in love - with life and with each other. And if that means they're hugging and kissing, so be it."

"Well I think it's terrible."

I loved Grampie's honesty and I got a huge kick out of his directness. :) I tried to explain that we always get plenty of pictures of the couple just hanging out. We began to look at my pictures from Cari and Joel's engagement session, so that he could tell me exactly what he likes and dislikes.

"You probably hate these, don't you?" I said as I showed him the pictures below:





"Yes, you see, that's just too much!" he exclaimed. "Why do they have to be so close?!"

"Well, these are a little milder . . . what do you think."






"Those are a little better, but I still don't like them. They're touching each other too much."

I dug a little deeper to find a picture I thought he would like. Clearly he wanted one where they were not touching at all.

"How about this one?"

"Okay, now I like that one. That's very nice."

Ah, Grampie. How great is he? :)

9 comments :

Chriselda said...

omg! i love love love grampie.
the one in the middle - the black and white. in the set of not so slobbery ones... that is my fave. by far. i saw that and thought, holy smokes!

they are gorgeous!
can't wait to see their wedding pics!

Ginger Murray said...

That is HILLARIOUS!!

I love the elderly.


Thanks so much for the advice.
I REALLY appreciate it.
About the lenes...
Soon I'll be doing some indoor studio, close up portraiture. So I'd be using whatever lens I purchase for that reason as well as weddings. Would your opinion still be the same on the lenses?

Ginger Murray said...

ha! "Lenes." I meant "Lenses" of course. But I just had to point out that "lenes" is a funny word.

Ginger Murray said...

Ooo, one more thing.
(I often write before I complete my thoughts:))...

I don't know the difference between the 50 and the 85...
Could you explain that to me?
Thanks a bunch, Stacy!

Anonymous said...

Good ol' grampie. I like your spanish blog comment. You are touching the world.

Stace, my parents want to get me a digital camera for my trip to Kenya for Christmas and this man at my church tried to tell me about 3x tele something and 7 to 8 mega something else and about online reviews, but really I just want someone to tell me what to buy. Any suggestions?

Courtney Sprague said...

LOVE these photos and LOVE grampie!! too cute! You did an amazing job!

Megan said...

Grampie may not like the poses, but he's gotta admit that the color is awesome in these! :)

joel said...

Cari and I love the pictures. You did an amazing job! We can't wait to see the wedding day pictures already! I would recommend you to anyone.

It's great to know that we can just trust you with one of the best days of our lives. I'm in awe of your talent.

Tell Grampie that I'm sorry for being too close to my fiance, but I just can't help myself...ha ha

Jennifer Nichols said...

Your Grampie is too cute. CJ always says he can't wait to be an old man, because then he can say whatever he wants to and still get respect. Seems like your Grampie has no problem expressing himself.

The photos are gorgeous! Love the first two. And great colors!

Labels