Thursday, September 20, 2007

Capturing moments forever.

First, I am so sorry for neglecting the blog this week, but things have been pretty crazy & I promise to start back blogging frequently again, okay? Love ya!

Now on to the heart of my post today...

It has quickly become cliche to say that, as a photographer, I strive to "capture your precious moments" or "preserve your memories forever". SO many other photographers have these types of sayings recklessly plastered all over their websites and blogs that saying these things is almost meaningless.

There are several goals with which I approach a wedding day and one of these is to capture the TRUE emotions and personalities of my subjects. Few things are as exciting as knowing that a picture I've taken is simply TRUE to the soul of the person in it. This excites me and I hope that I can always put my heart into capturing the heart of others. I am passionate about it.

Today I was at Dell Children's Hospital for one of my clinical days. I was walking down the hall and I quickly glanced for just a moment into a patient's room. There I saw one of the most amazingly beautiful moment I've seen in a very long time. In that brief second I saw a very ill baby standing up in her crib, smiling and looking up and outside the top of the railing. As my curious eyes moved to meet the form on which she gazed, I saw her mom and dad, in a full embrace, locked in a passionate kiss. In the midst of extreme grief, fear, worry, and a stream of other emotions that this small family must be going through, this was a moment of hope, joy, and love that was trememdously important. Immediately my eyes welled up with tears. Yes, I was moved by the moment, but I was also moved by the tragic regret that if only I would have had my camera there, I could have paused this intimate, beautiful experience forever for this baby and her parents.

Soon my sadness turned to thankfulness - thankfulness that I have the privilege to capture hidden, fleeting moments that are significant and REAL every time I pick up a camera. It is a joy to do what I do.

Here is a picture that I captured at Clayton and Cynthia's wedding that I absolutely love. Being able to assure that these moments are never forgotten is one of the greatest thrills in the world.

9 comments :

Jennifer Nichols said...

Amen sister!

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious jennifer..that is exactly what i was going to write..

wow..stacy.. thanks for sharing your heart with us! we are all blessed by knowing you.

what a precious picture too!

Amy Martin said...

Agreed. :)

Ginger Murray said...

so much love in that photo...

What an amazing thing to witness, at the hospital, too... beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Ummm I almost cried.

And I really love how that kid has his hand in his shirt. That's kinda hillarious!

Anonymous said...

I was going to right "Amen, sister!" but Jen already beat me to it!!!!

Courtney Sprague said...

soooooo, sooooo sweet!! (only because 'Amen sister' was already taken several times.) ;) amazing photo and sentiment!

Anonymous said...

Stacy, I just found your blog and wanted to say that I love your work! Your style is fantastic. Out of curiosity--do you shoot with primes or zooms usually?

Thanks for sharing!

Orange County Wedding Photographer said...

You as a photographer hold a great responsibility in capturing moments like this. It's awesome that you truly care about your images!

Labels