Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Making stuff is fun.

It seems like I have been looking for some cute vintage chairs to add to my living room forever. I went to Ikea, Target, antique stores, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond, and more, hoping to find what I was looking for. Well, the other day I was in Thrift Town and I saw these two HIDEOUS chairs and I knew right away that I had to have them! They were $9.99 each "As Is", which included mold stains, water damage, and paint splattered all over the wood and the cushions. Even the bottom of one of the seats was cracked.

As I sat there, head cocked to one side, looking at these pitiful things, I started to feel sad. I could see that underneath the wear and tear, there were two beautiful, sturdy, and classy chairs that had now been neglected for many years. The same feeling that I had when I picked Buddy out from amongst his puppy brothers and sisters (he was the runt and they were jumping on him as he shook in the corner) now washed over me and I knew I had to rescue these poor chairs.

With just a little TLC and some help from my Dad, we gave these chairs new life and I am very pleased with the results. :) All together, the cost of these chairs (paint + materials + glue gun + glue + staples) was $75 ($37.50 each). The best part was definitely the time I got to spend with my Dad working on this. We hardly ever get to do this type of thing anymore now that I am away from home. It was a great reminder that he is an all-wise, creative handy-man and I his trusty little extra-pair-of-hands sidekick. :)

Before pictures (these do not do justice to just how nasty these things were):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
you guys recognize my coffee cup, right? had to put it down to take the pic! :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And after:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 comments :

Sarah Q {photography for happy people} said...

WOOWWWWW! Those ROCK!!! You're HIRED to do all my future furnishings :)

Anonymous said...

big fan of the two-tone pain in that room

tyler

Anonymous said...

CCCUUUTTTEEE!!! me likes!
- tessa sue

Anonymous said...

I like. Who knew you were so crafty?

Stacy Cross said...

Thanks everybody! :)

Cort - I KNOW! It's totally my dad - he's majorly crafty. I don't know how I could have done it without him!

Shot by Candy said...

Stacy, I adore these chairs!! You are definetely multi-talented my friend!! :)
Candy

Anonymous said...

Awww I love these,... you did such a great job!
krissy

Labels