Monday, June 25, 2007

"It's not easy being green."

- Kermit the Frog

I've been trying to help out the environment by doing just a few things differently. One of those things is trying not to use plastic bags at the grocery store and bringing canvas bags from home. Well, the problem is that I keep forgetting to bring my canvas bags to the store with me, so I always end up taking my groceries out to the car in no bags. Usually this is no big deal because I don't have much stuff.

The other day I went to HEB and I forgot my canvas bags again. Unfortunately, this time I also bought a ton of groceries. Instead of carting them out to our car and then loading them in my trunk, I decided that I could just carry them all the way from the register to our car. Well, I delicately balanced all the groceries in my arms and started walking out to my car. Every 3 or 4 steps, a couple of groceries would tumble to the ground and I would have to awkwardly bend over and pick them up, only to lose a few more groceries.

I saw a young man who obviously worked for HEB and just as I thought he was going to offer to help me, he said:

"are you......like.........trying to help the environment?"

me: "yes."

him: "oh."

WALKS RIGHT BY ME!!!!

Moral of the story: I need to go load my canvas bags into my trunk right now while I'm thinking about it! Bye!

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Haha! You are SUCH a nerd! I wish I could have seen that!

Anonymous said...

GOOBER!!!!!

Ginger Murray said...

I'm a big recycler... so I appreciate and support your efforts!
Really funny story though...
I can totally see something like that happening to me...
I can't believe he walked by you!! How rude!

Ginger Murray said...

(by the way, I found you through David Jay's blog:))... I was reading your previous posts. And coming from another recycler, I would say donate your dress if you can part with it.
I wish I could have donated it, but I preserved mine... But don't trash it.
You probably spent a decent chunk of change on it! It's gorgeous!

Stacy Cross said...

Hey Ginger - The great thing about Trashing the Dress is that it can be cleaned and THEN donated - so you get lots of great use from it! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Ginger Murray said...

ooohhhhh.... I get it!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he walked by you! im glad to see people everywhere doing a bit to help the environment. i haven't made the step to canvas bags yet, but i think its time to migrate from simply recycling. thanks for sharing!

Labels